Dual Language Program
Lake Washington School District has developed a dual language Spanish-English program at Einstein Elementary School. The program serves students from Kindergarten through fifth grade.
The dual language program has instruction in two languages. In general, in grades K-1 the language division is 80% Spanish and 20% English and in grades 2-5 the language division is 50% Spanish and 50% English. Each dual language class is composed of around 50% native Spanish speakers and 50% English speakers. Language learning happens through content instruction and interaction between students. Subjects such as math, science, English language arts and social studies, are taught to all students in Spanish and/or English.
Incoming kindergarten students for 2023-24 who reside within the Einstein attendance area will have preference for enrollment in the program for 2023-24 if they apply for the program within the Choice School application window. Because most students remain in the program through grade 5, there may be limited number spaces for new first through fifth grade students next year. If more students in grades K-5 apply than there are spaces, students will be selected for these spaces using the choice school lottery and wait list process.
- What is dual-language education?
- Why are we developing a dual language program in Lake Washington School District?
- What are the benefits of dual-language education? What does the research tell us about dual-language instruction?
- When do children in dual language programs become fluent in a second language (English or Spanish)?
- How will the program be structured?
- Will my child learn the same subjects as students in other classes?
- Will learning a second language impact his or her overall success in school? Will s/he fall behind?
- How will students be selected for the program?
- How will my child understand if s/he does not speak the second language? What do the first days look like?
- What are the program expectations for parents?
- Who can I contact if I want more information?